Geregistreerd op: 31 Jul 2018
|Geplaatst: 31-07-2018 10:40:22 Onderwerp: Russian emigre
|UNITED NATIONS J.T. Miller Jersey , Oct. 26 (Xinhua) -- Annual deaths from measles dropped below 100,000 to 90,000 for the first time last year, United Nations and other international agencies reported on Thursday.
"We have seen substantial drop in measles deaths for more than two decades, but now we must strive to reach zero measles cases," said Jean-Marie Okwo-Bele, Director of the World Health Organization's (WHO) Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals, in a joint statement on Thursday for the Measles and Rubella Initiative (MR&I).
The study, published by MR&I, a partnership formed in 2001 between the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), WHO, UN Foundation, American Red Cross, and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, marks the first time that global measles deaths have fallen below 100,000 per year.
"Measles elimination will only be reached if measles vaccines reach every child, everywhere," added Okwo-Bele.
Since 2000, an estimated 5.5 billion doses of measles-containing vaccines have been provided to children through routine immunization services and mass vaccination campaigns, saving an estimated 20.4 million lives.
However, the world is still far from reaching regional measles elimination goals.
According to the joint statement, people being treated with the first of two vaccine-required doses have stalled at approximately 85 percent since 2009, far short of the 95 percent coverage needed to stop the infections, and coverage with the second dose, despite recent increases, was only 64 percent in 2016.
Some 20.8 million children are still missing their first measles vaccine dose, more than half of whom live in six countries. Nigeria has 3.3 million unvaccinated children; India has 2.9 million; Pakistan, 2 million; Indonesia, 1.2 million; Ethiopia, 0.9 million; and in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, 0.7 million are not immunized.
Since measles is a highly contagious viral disease, large outbreaks continue to occur in these and other countries in Europe and North America, putting children at risk of severe health complications, such as pneumonia, diarrhoea, encephalitis, blindness and death.
LONDON, Oct. 1 (Xinhua) -- British police confirmed Wednesday that the body found in west London river was the missing teenager Alice Gross, Gross's parents were "completely devastated".
The body was pulled from the River Brent in west London last night, 28 days after police located the 14-year-old's rucksack and shoes near the towpath that runs alongside the river.
Police has launched a murder inquiry, and Gross's family have been informed.
"We have been left completely devastated by the recent developments and it is difficult to comprehend that our sweet and beautiful daughter was the victim of a terrible crime," Gross's parents said in a statement.
"Why anyone would want to hurt her is something that we are struggling to come to terms with," they added.
Formal identification is yet to take place and a post-mortem examination is due to be held later, police said.
Convicted murderer Arnis Zalkalns, 41, from Latvia, remains the prime suspect, according to BBC. He was filmed cycling in the same direction as Alice was walking, 15 minutes behind her on 28 August, the day she disappeared.
Zalkalns, who has been missing from his home since 3 September, was convicted of his wife's murder in 1998 and served seven years in jail before moving to Britain in 2007.
The investigation came under fire amid claims of delays in identifying the Latvia-born suspect as a risk.
Commander McNulty, who has been leading the investigation, said: "We are unable to make a formal identification at this stage, but clearly this news is devastating for everyone involved in the search for Alice.
"I need the public's help to find whoever is responsible," he added. He also urged anyone with information to come forward, saying it was not too late.
Oliver Lapidus (right) Photo: IC
French designer Olivier Lapidus has been appointed artistic director of Paris label Lanvin following his predecessor's resignation from the troubled fashion house.
"I welcome the arrival of Olivier Lapidus to the artistic direction of Lanvin," the company's owner, Taiwan media magnate Wang Shaw-lan, announced in a statement on Tuesday.
"His great understanding of the world of this house, the world of fashion and design, and his resolutely modern approach will bring Lanvin to new horizons," she added.
Lapidus, 59, a prominent figure in high-tech fashion, replaces Bouchra Jarrar, who was appointed artistic director for Lanvin's women's collections in March 2016.
Jarrar quit Lanvin only 10 months after she showed her first collection there.
The 46-year-old had closed her own label so she could dedicate herself to reviving France's oldest fashion house.
But it soon became clear that all was not well within the house, which has been in turmoil since the shock sacking of its previous designer, Alber Elbaz, in 2015.
In a short statement late Thursday announcing Jarrar's departure, Lanvin said they had "mutually decided to put an end to their collaboration."
Lapidus was born into the fashion world: He is the grandson of a Russian emigre tailor, and the son of Ted Lapidus, who made his mark on fashion in the 1960s-70s with his unisex and safari styles.
He was artistic director of Lapidus for 11 years, where he advocated a marriage between haute couture, crafts and industrial research laboratories.
But his new job presents a daunting prospect.
The popular Elbaz had brought Lanvin, founded in 1889, back from the edge of oblivion before he fell foul of Wang.
Wang and Lanvin's other major shareholder, Swiss businessman Ralph Bartel, plan to recapitalize the company and relaunch the brand, according to the French busine. Cheap Shirts Cheap Baseball Hoodies Cheap College Hoodies Cheap Replica Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Cheap Authentic NFL Jerseys Cheap Authentic Soccer Jerseys Wholesale College Jerseys Wholesale Adidas NHL Jerseys Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys